The Nova Scotia Liberals kicked off their marketing campaign Saturday to win a 3rd mandate and it was a marketing campaign launch fuelled largely with masses of cash from the get together’s federal cousins in Ottawa.
Within the week main as much as Saturday’s writ drop, the Trudeau Liberals performed what amounted to a starring position to assist Nova Scotia Liberal Chief — and incumbent premier — Iain Rankin get off to the most effective begin he might.
The large increase got here on Tuesday when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Premier Rankin held a joint press convention. Trudeau dialled in nearly from Ottawa however he did dispatch Toronto-based Social Improvement Minister Ahmed Hussen to be on the bottom in Halifax.
They introduced that Nova Scotia had grow to be the second province to signal a federal-provincial child-care deal which, all leaders promised, will end in $10-a-day child-care within the province by 2026. The Ottawa Liberals will kick in $605 million to make that occur whereas the Nova Scotia Liberals ponied up $40 million.
And, positive sufficient, on Saturday evening that child-care deal was one of many first issues Rankin talked about on the end-of-day political rally held in his personal using of Timberlea-Prospect. It appears cheap to imagine that Rankin will remind Nova Scotia as typically as he can that he was the premier who introduced that deal house.
However the Liberal authorities in Ottawa was far more beneficiant to the Liberal authorities in Halifax within the days — heck, within the hours — main as much as the drop of the Nova Scotia writ on Saturday morning.
Can a enterprise ban unvaccinated prospects? Right here’s what we all know
The Ark Two, Canada’s largest personal bunker, has misplaced its Noah
Contemplate the next bulletins of federal money certain for the Bluenose province that had been made on Friday alone — the day earlier than the writ drop:
- The Trudeau Liberals introduced the semi-annual switch of fuel tax funds collected by Ottawa to dozens of Nova Scotia municipalities. That switch totalled $112 million. Different provinces will get theirs in some unspecified time in the future however — lo and behold — the Trudeau Liberals managed to get the Nova Scotia announcement in just below the wire earlier than the provincial election began.
- $3.9 million to assist increase the vitality effectivity of some municipal buildings in Halifax.
- $2.7 million to assist the airport in Sydney hold working.
- $1.4 million for lobster producers in central Nova Scotia.
- $944,000 for brand new trails in Yarmouth.
- $600,000 in federal funding for a brand new transportation hall in Preston.
And, once more, all the above was introduced the day earlier than the writ drop.
I requested each Trudeau and Rankin final Tuesday if both of them had mentioned the timing of the Nova Scotia election and each stated they’d not.
I additionally requested Trudeau if he deliberate to hitch Rankin on the stump and marketing campaign for the Nova Scotia Liberals. Each males chuckled and averted the query. However the reply appears fairly clear: With the federal chequebook, the Trudeau Liberals had been campaigning for Rankin proper up till the drop of the writ.
David Akin is the chief political correspondent for World Information.